By Sydney Wu
Get ready, get set, get going! Komen Atlanta’s 24th annual Race for the Cure will take place on Saturday, May 10 at Lenox Square. Komen Atlanta is predicting 14,000 to participate this year, raising approximately $1.4 million to enable thousands of Atlanta women to detect and survive breast cancer.
Race for the Cure will consist of a 5K run/walk and one mile walk down Peachtree Street. All proceeds will go towards helping women detect, fight, and survive breast cancer and also breast cancer research. Seventy-five percent of all funds raised by Komen Atlanta stays within the city to help the women of Atlanta and twenty-five percent of the proceeds support national research.
Festivities will begin with the one mile walk down Peachtree Street at 7:30 a.m., and the 5K run/walk will begin at 8 a.m. In addition to the race itself, there will be a special “Kids for the Cure” area. Children will be able to play ball and shoot hoops with the WNBA Atlanta Dream and visit Queen Elsa and animals from the Zoo Atlanta. There will also be crafts and face painting for the little ones.
Lenox Square will also be having a “PINK OUT PARTY” from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. complete with a DJ, giveaways, and the opportunity to take tutu pictures.
Due to these festivities, there will be road closures from 5 a.m. until noon. Below is the complete list:
Peachtree Road – between Lenox Road and Piedmont Road.
5:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. – Race Staging Area
· Local traffic allowed to access business in this area for deliveries, cabs for guests, etc. until 7:20 a.m. After this time, access will be at the discretion of the APD coordinator and APD police officers.
· Every attempt will be made to accommodate local traffic if possible, but there will be a window of time from roughly 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. when it will be difficult to accommodate any traffic.
Piedmont Road - between Peachtree Road and Pharr Road.
8:00 a.m. to 9:45 a..m – Race Route
· Street will reopen immediately after the last runners/walkers completing this portion of the route.
· Local traffic allowed to access businesses and residences in this area for deliveries, arrivals and departures, etc. until 8:00 a.m. After this time, access will be at the discretion of the APD coordinator and APD police officers.
· Local traffic needing access to business in this area can be allowed through once walkers arrive. Officers may hold the walkers to allow local traffic through the route.
· Every attempt will be made to accommodate local traffic if possible, but there will be a window of time from roughly 8:10 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. when it will be difficult to accommodate any traffic.
Around Lenox Drive - Lenox Square Exit Driveway (exit side only)
5:00 a.m. to noon – Race Finish Line
· Westin Hotel traffic will be allowed to enter/exit via the entrance side of the driveway during the duration of the event.
· APD officer will be assigned to this area to insure that hotel traffic can flow.
· All exiting traffic will have to proceed to the rear of the hotel to exit the Lenox Square area during the event.
Peachtree Road – between Piedmont Road and Pharr Road.
8:00 a.m. to 9:15 a.m. – Race Route
· Race Route will be in 4 lanes (northeast bound) on the south side of the road.
· Vehicle traffic may be allowed to flow in the southwest bound lanes toward Roswell Road.
Pharr Road – between Peachtree Road and Piedmont Road.
8:00 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. – Race Route
· Race Route will be in 2-1/2 lanes (westbound lanes) on the north side of the Pharr Road.
· Two way vehicle traffic will be created in the 2-1/2 lanes (eastbound lanes) on the south side of the road.