After writing my article on last week, I received some suggestions for diabetic desserts. I decided to do some research because I wasn’t too familiar with making desserts for those with diabetes. I found that there are many ways for diabetics to enjoy desserts that are delicious and sugar free. I experimented with some pie recipes and came up with a simple and tasty coconut cream pecan pie. I will use this recipe for parties; it’s not just for those with diabetes. For Paul, Melinda, Adrienne and many others, this pie is for you.
1 pie crust
1 small box of instant, sugar-free vanilla pudding
1 8-ounce container of low-fat cream cheese, whipped
1 8-ounce container of low-fat topping, whipped (save four ounces for topping)
1 cup of fat-free milk
¾ cup of toasted coconut (save ¼ cup for topping)
¾ cup of chopped pecans (save ¼ cup for topping)
1. If using pastry crust, bake according to directions. You may use graham cracker crust if you prefer.
2. With an electric mixer mix together the cream cheese, pudding and milk until creamy.
3. Add four ounces of whipped topping and make sure it has thawed.
4. Place in a pan in a 350°F oven until coconut is toasted.
5. Add ½ cup of coconut and ½ cup of pecans into the pudding mixture.
6. Spread the mixture into the cooled pie crust.
7. Top with the remaining whipped topping, pecans and coconut.
8. Chill for at least two hours and serve.
This will not be the last recipe for diabetics. Check back and I will be testing other recipes that are healthy, delicious and good for you.
Stay safe and eat great Canton.