Good morning, Decatur and Avondale Estates. Here are 5 Things to know about today.
1. Weather. Cloudy with a 60 percent chance of thunderstorms in the morning. High temps in the mid-80s and lows in the lower 70s. Forty percent chance of rain in the evening.
2. Lowest gas prices. Late Sunday, it was $3.37 per gallon at QuikTrip at 4113 Covington Highway and Racetrac at 3858 Covington Highway. Prices can chance quickly so look at the Patch gas widget for the best deal in the Decatur and Avondale Estates area.
3. A Monday night tradition. has held a songwriter's open mic night for 19 years. Musicians perform two songs each, with three finalists returning for a third song and a chance to win cash and a spot in the club's bi-annual Open Mic Shootout. Starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets $5 in advance, $6 at the door.
4. Public meetings. Decatur City Commission at 7:30 p.m. in Decatur City Hall. In Avondale Estates City Hall, the Willis Park Ad Hoc Committee and the Architectural Review Board at 7 p.m., with the Historic Preservation Commission at 7:01 p.m.
5. On this date. In 1945, the United States dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan, in the first use of a nuclear weapon in warfare. An estimated 66,000 people were instantly killed.