'Tis the season! Events celebrating the holidays and Johns Creek's founding six years ago kick off this week with a tree and dreidel lighting Monday night and the city's annual Founders Day Parade on Saturday.
Events include –
• Toys for Tots: Already underway, residents can donate toys to children in need in this city-sponsored drive through Dec. 14. Drop-off points are City Hall, Park Place or one of Johns Creek's fire stations.
• Tree & Dreidel Lighting: Celebrate the lighting of the city's Christmas Tree and giant dreidel at City Hall while local school choruses perform. The event also serves as a Toys for Tots drop-off point. Monday, Nov. 26, 6:30 p.m. at Johns Creek City Hall. Free.
• Cards for the Military: Residents are invited to sign giant cards designed by Johns Creek fifth-graders for military personnel. The cards can be signed at the tree lighting ceremony and at City Hall through Dec. 14.
• Kids' Holiday Crafts: Children are invited to make holiday crafts at the Johns Creek Arts Center. The city is providing the supplies. Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2:30-5 p.m. Free.
• Emory Holiday Workshop: Emory Johns Creek Hospital is hosting a holiday workshop, complete with performances from local elementary school choral groups, children's crafts, refreshments and Santa. This celebration is the perfect chance to catch the hospital's holiday light show on Technology Parkway. The Johns Creek Fire Department will also bring its smoker, selling food to benefit the Georgia Firefighters Burn Foundation. Friday, Nov. 30, 6-8:30 p.m. Free.
• Founders Day Parade: The annual parade, taking place along State Bridge Road from West Morton to Kimball Bridge, features local groups and businesses, high school marching bands, the Braves' drumline, characters from Medieval Times and more. The fun is hosted by 11alive news anchor and Johns Creek resident Karyn Greer. Saturday, Dec. 1, 10 a.m. Free.
• Santa Jam: After the parade, head over the Johns Creek High School for live entertainment, children's activities, refreshments and photos with Santa. Saturday, Dec. 1, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Free.
• Holiday Pops Concert: The Johns Creek Symphony Orchestra as it presents its 7th annual Christmas Gala & Holiday Pops Concert at St. Benedict Catholic Church followed by a champagne dessert reception. Saturday, Dec. 1, at 8 p.m. $16.50/students; $23.50/seniors; $30/regular admission. Purchase tickets at www.johnscreeksymphony.org.
• Breakfast With Santa: Children are invited to enjoy holiday crafts, games and a visit with St. Nick at the city's annual Breakfast With Santa at Park Place at Newtown School. Space is limited; all children must be pre-registered and accompanied by an adult. Saturday, Dec. 8, 8:30-9:30 a.m. or 10-11 a.m. Registration deadline is Nov. 30. $15 per resident child; $22.50 per non-resident child. Click here for registration information.
• Autrey Mill Holiday Events: Holiday events at Autrey Mill Nature Preserve & Heritage Center include a Holiday Market on Dec. 8, a Children's Holiday Craft event on Dec. 8, a Children's Holiday Tea on Dec. 15, and Holiday Camps on Dec. 14, 20 and 21. Click here for more information, registration and costs.