Jul 29, 2014

File Gwinnett Tax Appeals by May 21

If you think your Gwinnett County property tax assessment is too high, here's how to file an appeal.

File Gwinnett Tax Appeals by May 21


By now, most Gwinnett County property owners should have received an . This year, approximately 80,000 of the notices will reflect a lower assessment.

The  S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Indices released on April 24 showed the metro Atlanta area experienced a 17.3 percent year over year decline in property values. The area has had five consecutive months of double-digit negative returns and the lowest annual return in its 20-year history, the release stated.

According to a CNN Money report, housing prices nationwide are at their lowest since November of 2002.

With short sales and foreclosures still weighing heavily on the Gwinnett County market, local housing prices have been negatively impacted.

If your assessment was not lowered and you feel your property is not worth the fair market value listed on your notice, you can file an appeal. Appeals must be filed by May 21. Appeal information, interactive appeal forms and FAQs are located on the Tax Assessor’s website at  www.gwinnett-assessor.com.

If you did not receive a notice in the mail and would like to view your assessment, click here

To file an appeal, the property owner must complete an appeal form. Click here for complete instructions on filing an appeal. Property owners must specify the grounds for the appeal and determine the avenue for appeal (the Board of Equalization is free and is the most commonly used according to the county website).

along with a 250-word or less explanation of why the assessment is being appealed. All property owners must provide specified contact information and mail or hand deliver the appeals form to the Gwinnett County Board of Assessors, 75 Langley Drive, Lawrenceville, Ga. 30046.  

Appeals will be reviewed by appraisers. If the assessment is changed, the property owner will be notified by mail. Property owners who are dissatisfied with the change may dispute the review. Cases where no change was made or where the property owner disputes the change will be forwarded to the Clerk of Courts for a hearing.

Don’t miss updates from Patch!