A vacant house under renovation near Lawrenceville was a total loss after a Monday afternoon fire.
Gwinnett Fire Capt. Tommy Rutledge said no one was at the Margo Trail house when the fire happened after 2 p.m. Monday, June 9.
“The homeowner was doing renovation work in the basement earlier and had been gone for an estimated 30 minutes before the fire erupted,” Rutledge said in a news release. “The home is not currently lived in and was being renovated for potential rental property. The home is considered a total loss due to the fire.”
The homeowner called 911 around 2:13 p.m. When firefighters arrived, heavy fire was showing from the basement and the main level of the one-story house, located about 1,500 off the roadway on a heavily wooded lot.
“Fire apparatus close to the structure was limited to one attack pumper due to the distance and extended hose lay from the hydrant,” Rutledge said. “Additional fire crews had to walk in on foot to assist with battling the blaze.”
Rutledge said discarded paint and oil rags in a plastic pail may have sparked the fire. The homeowner was using floor-cleaning compounds in the basement. The fire appeared to be accidental.