Good morning, Lilburn. Today is Wednesday, June 13, and it's gonna be hot.
1. Heat Continues: Today carries the second straight heat advisory (11 a.m. until 5 a.m. Thursday) from the National Weather Service, with heat indices perhaps 107 to 111 degrees. According to Weather.com data, the all-time record for Atlanta — 105 degrees — was first recorded on this date in 1980 (was tied four days later) during a seven-day stretch which saw five days of 101 degrees or more. Today’s high is expected to be 95 to 100, which may not be a record but will be plenty hot. Please heed all the warnings about staying hydrated and out of the sun.
2. School Planning: We saw lots of people out over the weekend shopping for school supplies for their kids, who begin classes in less than a month. Here’s your next assignment: If you’re able, consider shopping for supplies for kids less fortunate. Several Gwinnett agencies are collecting supplies, so lend a hand. The is collecting everything from crayons to backpacks (backpacks run out quickly, by the way) for distribution later this month and during the first week of August. Check out the Lilburn Co-Op website for more info.
3. Happy Birthday SpongeBob, Indiana Jones and Caesar: Quite a group, indeed. Tom Kenny, the voice of the cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants, was born on this date in 1962. Harrison Ford, aka Indiana Jones (and Han Solo), was born in 1942. Julius Caesar, July’s namesake, was born in 100 BC. Former Atlanta Hawk Spud Webb was born on this date in 1963.
4. The Art of the Word: Aspiring and seasoned writers are invited to hone their skills this weekend in Old Town Lilburn with a two-day conference beginning Friday evening at the . A Friday open mic (7 p.m. to 9 p.m.) is followed by Saturday seminars beginning at noon. Authors Anne B. Jones and Jackie Lee Miles, Gwinnett Daily Post columnist Susan Larson and poet Rupert Rike offer their expertise. Interested? Email email@example.com.
5. Births, Weddings, Shout-Outs: Lilburn Patch offers an easy way for our readers to announce their special moments. By accessing our Announcements link you can rave about your new baby, share the news of your daughter’s engagement and wedding, or congratulate the local softball team for winning the championship. You can upload photos of the big news, too. That’s not all. Call for volunteers, announce a special event or share condolences. If it’s big news for you, it is for us, too.