Frosted Pumpkin Cookies
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon Spice Islands® pure vanilla extract
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in pumpkin. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans and dates.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile, for frosting, combine the butter, brown sugar and milk in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in maple flavoring and vanilla.
- Cool slightly; beat in enough confectioners' sugar to achieve spreading consistency. Remove cookies to wire racks; frost while warm.
Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.