Jul 29, 2014

Defendant in Midtown Rape Case Given Double Life Sentences

Man found guilty of attacking two women during a two-day crime spree in 2007

Defendant in Midtown Rape Case Given Double Life Sentences

Staff Report

A previously convicted felon accused of rape and other related charges connected with sexual attacks on two women, including one in Midtown, has been convicted.

According to the Fulton County District Attorney's Office, jurors on Friday returned guilty verdicts against 39-year-old Jacob Simpson on charges of Rape, Aggravated Sodomy, Aggravated Assault with Intent to Rape, Theft by Taking and Kidnapping. He was immediately sentenced to two consecutive life sentences for his crimes by presiding Fulton County Superior Court Judge T. Jackson Bedford.

Simpson’s series of attacks began August 20, 2007 when he visited the Midtown home of an acquaintance. After she return home from church, Simpson forced the woman to perform sexual acts and then raped her. He then demanded the woman leave the house and forced her to ride around town with him in her car for several hours.

During one brief stop, the victim escaped and called police. Simpson then fled in the woman’s car. The next day, while still driving the stolen vehicle, he offered a ride to a young woman in southwest Atlanta. Instead of taking the woman to her destination, Simpson detoured to a nearby abandoned building, forced the woman inside and sexually assaulted her.

He fled the scene, but the victim was able to run after him for a short distance and record the license plate number of the vehicle. Simpson was arrested during a traffic stop the next day, still driving the stolen vehicle.

In addition to his rape conviction, Simpson has an extensive criminal history with a mix of convictions and arrests for charges ranging from robbery to terroristic threats and property damage.

The case against Simpson was prosecuted by Senior ADA Tonya Boykin of the Crimes Against Women and Children Unit with assistance from Senior ADA John Williams and DA Investigators Ken Rucker, Mike Green and Greg Patterson. Detective A. Nixon and Sgt. C. Tyus of the Atlanta Police Department led the initial investigation.

Don’t miss updates from Patch!