It’s hard to know what to smile about with three food holidays dedicated to cheese over the next few days! Cheese Fondue Day is on April 11th, Cheese Sandwich Day is on the 12th, and Cheeseball Day is on the 17th. I have some really yummy, easy, and aesthetically pleasing recipes for all 3 holidays, but that’s more cheese than I want to eat! So, like Robert Frost’s traveler in “The Road Not Taken” I saved two for another year, and decided to focus on Cheese Sandwich Day.
Sometimes less is more and simple can taste complex. Grilled cheese sandwiches make for a simple way to achieve complexity by combining mellow and sharp cheeses, a few interesting additives, and contrasting crunch with silky smoothness. They go well with hot tomato soup when it’s chilly out or a cool cucumber salad when the mercury rises. In other words, they’re quick and easy to prepare, they’re versatile, and you can customize them to fit your palette preferences.
The following recipe is my self-proclaimed “Greatest Ever Grilled Cheese.” And I follow it up with a few ways to make the best even better.
Since grilled cheese sandwiches can be greasy, this recipe minimizes the unhealthy grease without losing any flavor.
Greatest Ever Grilled Cheese Sandwich
· Olive Oil Cooking Spray
· 2 slices Rye Bread
· 2 slices Gruyère Cheese
· 1/4 C Shredded Cheddar Cheese
· 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
· Any Added Ingredients from sections below
· 1/2 T Butter
· Coat frying pan with cooking spray and place over medium-low heat.
· Spread one side of each piece of bread with a very thin layer of butter.
· Place 1 slice of Gruyère cheese on the unbuttered sides of bread slices.
· Spread 1/2 tsp mustard on each slice of cheese.
· Sprinkle cheddar cheese over one mustard-covered cheese slice.
· Add any of the optional ingredients listed below.
· Put sandwich halves together, cheese sides together and buttered sides of bread on the outside.
· Place sandwich into warm pan. Fry 3-4 minutes, until bottom pieces of bread toast.
· Flip and toast other side until browned. Cheese should be melted and gooey. Remove to serving plates.