15 Sep 2014
55° Mostly Cloudy
Patch Instagram photo by uactheatre

Arlington Heights: Bringing Back the Past

In this new feature, the history of buildings and properties in town will be highlighted as we bring back Arlington Heights' past.

Arlington Heights: Bringing Back the Past Arlington Heights: Bringing Back the Past Arlington Heights: Bringing Back the Past Arlington Heights: Bringing Back the Past

Originally called Williams Saloon, this building became the Union Hotel in the 1850's, and was located where Chase Bank stands today at 1 N. Dunton Avenue, near Campbell and Davis Street, according to Illinois Digital Archives (IDA). 

During the hey dey of the hotel, Arlington Heights was actuallly named Dunton. Dunton Avenue was called Myrtle Avenue, and Davis Street was Railroad Avenue, according to IDA

Local saloons were an important community gathering place during the 100 year existence of the building.

In addition to being a place for people to gather for social and political events, the hotel added a dance hall in the early 1900's.

The hotel also served as a boarding house for salesmen travelling by train from Chicago. 

Information provided by Chronicle of a Prairie Town: Arlington Heights, Illinois and the Illinois Digital Archives. 

Share This Article