Fire investigators are focusing on an oversized light bulb in a recessed porch fixture as the possible cause of a fire in unincorporated Westmont late Sunday evening.
The Darien-Woodridge Fire Protection District responded to a structural fire in the 1200 block of Willow Lane in unincorporated Westmont around 11:35 p.m.
The homeowner told fire officials that she smelled smoke in the home, and fled the burning home with her daughter and granddaughter. When she called 911, she said she could see flames in the attic.
Darien-Woodridge firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze, which caused an estimated $15,000 in damage. Firefighters remained on the scene for an hour afterward checking for hot spots.
No civilians or firefighters were injured during the incident.
Fire investigators believe than oversized light bulb in a recessed light fixture located on the porch may be the the culprit.
Homeowners are urged to be certain an appropriate sized light bulb is used in any light fixture by checking the maximum wattage of the fixture and never exceeding it, fire officials said.
Darien-Woodridge received assistance from Tri-State and Pleasantview Fire Protection Districts and the Westmont Fire Department. Downers Grove and LaGrange Park Fire Departments along with the Lemont Fire Protection District covered Darien-Woodridge fire stations during the fire.