The weather is expected to get even sketchier as the day wears on. By rush hour, snow is expected to start falling.
For drivers who use the tollways, the Illinois Tollway said it is mobilizing all available resources to keep roadways clear as the weather begins to change from rain to snow.
For drivers traveling this afternoon and evening, the Tollway provides the following tips:
- Slow down and leave enough time to reach your destination
- Do not make sudden lane changes and always use your turn signal
- Don't follow too closely and increase your intervals between vehicles
- Remember to always wear your safety belt and ensure children under the age of 8 are securely restrained in child safety seats
- Yield to snowplows and emergency vehicles
- Don’t text while driving. It’s illegal.
- Dial *999 on your cell phone to report incidents
Find real-time information about travel times and road conditions at the Illinois Tollway website.
A winter weather advisory is in effect until 9 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. Snow accumulations of two to four inches are expected, with more snow falling north of I-88.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are plenty of ways to keep up on Downers Grove news: