Jul 27, 2014
69°
Partly Cloudy

Evanston Drivers Would Be Cell Phone-Free Under New Proposal

The Human Services Committee approved the idea Monday night. The full City Council will now take up the issue.

Evanston Drivers Would Be Cell Phone-Free Under New Proposal

Evanston drivers could lose all cell phone privileges — including talking hands-free — if the City Council approves a proposal to ban all phone use while driving, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

The Human Services Committee approved the idea Monday night, passing it along to the City Council for review, the article says.

Related:

Evanston passed an ordinance in 2009 that stipulates drivers use phones only with a hands-free device.

At year, Ald. Jane Grover (7th Ward), who submitted Monday night's proposed ban, said she supported a full ban on using phones while driving, but didn't know if it would have enough support to win approval.

“I don’t know if we would have enough votes to pass a ban on all cell phone use while driving,” Grover said at last year's Distracted Driving Summit at . “That’s the direction that I’d like to go, but I think getting there requires doing more education. You’ve got to bring people along. It’s baby steps.”

Read the full Sun-Times story here.

Keep up to date on what's happening in Evanston by liking our Facebook page. (Just don't read it while you're driving.)

Don’t miss updates from Patch!