A Glen Ellyn mom is grateful her children were not home — and not injured — Sunday when the ceiling collapsed in their apartment, according to media reports.
Makurai Sarki told the Daily Herald she was in the kitchen with her husband preparing food
when the ceiling fell in the sitting room.
No one was injured and nothing was broken following the ceiling collapse, according to the Daily Herald.
The family was displaced following the incident and neighbors have helped take care of them while repairs are made, the Daily Herald reports.
The Glen Ellyn Fire Department and Glen Ellyn Volunteer Fire Company were called to the ANA Apartment Complex, 25 N. Main St. in Glen Ellyn, at 5:30 p.m. Sunday after a resident of a second-floor unit reported the ceiling in the unit had collapsed.
Police and firefighters evacuated all residents from the 16-unit complex.
Police determined the collapse occurred after a manager at the apartment complex placed a tarp over an open portion of the roof while work was being done on the roof, according to the news release. Rain from recent storms soaked the drywall ceiling in the second-floor unit, which caused the ceiling to collapse.
Read more on the Daily Herald