Hosting kids for sleepovers, play dates and breakfast before school bus pickup can be tricky business these days with food allergies more commonplace than ever.
Lactose intolerance is one of the more prevalent allergies, with approximately 65 percent of people effected worldwide, according to the National Institutes of Health.
To ensure a good time is had by all, a mom's got to be prepared and having a lactose-free recipe on hand that kids will love will save you a lot of head scratching. Watch this video for an easy dairy-free recipe that everyone can enjoy.
RECIPE: Dairy-Free Blueberry Scones
Makes 8 scones
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup plain almond milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400. Place oven rack in center of oven. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine flours, baking soda and sea salt in large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In small mixing bowl whisk together almond milk and honey. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in almond milk and honey mixture. Gently stir with wooden spoon until just incorporated. Add blueberries and stir gently until combined. Do not over mix.
- Drop scones onto baking sheet in 8 equal portions. Sprinkle scones with sugar. Bake 15-18 minutes, checking halfway through, turning baking sheet if needed until golden on top. Serve with warm jam.
This article is part of Mix It Up, an editorial series created in collaboration with AOL's Kitchen Daily and Huffington Post. It is dedicated to making the lives of mothers easier through articles, videos and slideshows focused on simple and creative solutions to everyday challenges. From healthy recipes to exciting ideas for a more balanced lifestyle, this section aims to become a resource for moms everywhere.