Couple Spots Mushrooms Sprouting Inside Apartment
A couple discovered an unpleasant surprise in their Country Creek apartment in New Lenox.
"About a week and a half ago, all of a sudden my girlfriend noticed a mushroom that came out from under our cabinet," resident Matthew Schwertferger told Fox.
A little digging led to finding a lot of black mold behind a wall—presumably caused by a leaky water heater, the report states.
Schwertferger and his girlfriend Sarah Zeibert have a three-month-old daughter, and her exposure to the mold prompted their quick action. A handyman stopped in at the landlord's request, but did very little, the couple told Fox, maybe even exacerbating the problem by tearing up flooring and the wall.
"It's all in the air," said Sarah Zeibert, Schwertferger's girlfriend. "They just left it like that. We had to leave."
The couple broke their lease. New Lenox Police Chief Bob Sterba said there have been multiple code violations and it's not their first time dealing with this landlord.
>> via Fox Chicago