Jul 30, 2014
58°
Clear

Authorities: Charcoal Grill Caused Naperville Balcony Fire

Authorities: Charcoal Grill Caused Naperville Balcony Fire
A charcoal grill caused a blaze at a Naperville town home Sunday, fire officials said. 

Firefighters were called to 2504 Durango Lane in Naperville at 5:54 p.m. on Sunday where they found heavy black smoke coming from the balcony of a two-story townhouse, according to a Naperville Fire Department press release. 

The fire was contained to the building's balcony but there was smoke damage throughout the unit. The blaze was brought under control within 10 minutes. 

Damage to the building is estimated at $60,000, and the unit has been deemed uninhabitable until repairs could be made. The cause of the fire was attributed to a charcoal grill on the balcony, according to the news release. 

The Naperville Fire Department was assisted at the scene by the Naperville Police Department and Plainfield Fire Department. The Bolingbrook and Lisle-Woodridge Fire Departments provided coverage at Naperville’s fire stations during this incident. 

There were no injuries to any civilians or firefighters. 

Don’t miss updates from Patch!