If your child got lost, would you be able to tell police and rescuers exactly how tall she is? Or how much he weighs? Would you have a photo readily available?
On Friday, which was National Missing and Exploited Children's Day, provided
Monika Kalicki, the mall's marketing manager, and Niles Police Chief Dean Strzelecki urged parents to visit www.take25.org to get safety tips.
Some of them include:
- Teach your children to tell you whenever they leave the house, even if they're just going into the yard.
- Teach them to stay with a friend whenever they're playing outside or going anywhere.
- Go on a walking tour of the neighborhood and tell them exactly which houses they may visit without you.
- Teach them their full names, their address, and their mom's and dad's names and cell phone numbers.
- Make sure they know to call 911 or a trusted adult in an emergency.
- Teach them never to approach a vehicle, occupied or not, unless they know the owner or are accompanied by a trusted adult.
- Visit netsmartz.org to learn more about keeping your child safe on the Internet.