Wondering what's going on in and around Oak Forest? Check out our daily look at what you should be watching out for each day and the entire week.
Metra to Commuters: Get Ready to Wait
After the extremely cold temperatures of early January caused train delays and cancellations, Metra is getting out ahead of the extremely cold temperatures of late January.
An alert posted to the Metra website Friday morning warns riders that trains are "likely" to be delayed Monday, when the National Weather Service is forecasting a high temperature of -4 degrees and a low temperature of -18.
"Please allow extra travel time to assure safe passage to and from your destination," the Metra alert reads. "In the interest of safety, we will be operating at reduced speeds, if necessary, to reduce the stress on the rails. Cold weather often leads to slower boarding and we therefore expect station stops to be longer than usual."
—By Lorraine Swanson
Also This Week …
TUESDAY, JAN. 28
- St. Damian School Tours: As part Catholic Schools Week, the school will be offering tours to parents from 9:30 a.m. to noon.
- City Council Meeting: The aldermen meet at 8 p.m. at the Council Chambers in City Hall. Go to the city's website for the full agenda.
THURSDAY, JAN. 30
Paying for College Survival Workshop: This seminar at 7 p.m. in the Acorn Public Library will offer tips to parents with college-bound kids on how to save for their higher education.
FRIDAY, JAN. 31
- As We Pray: Frankfort's contemporary ballet company Ballet 5:8 will perform at 2 p.m. at St. Damian School. Go to the dance company's website for more details.
- Women's Little Christmas: This event, which was originally scheduled for Jan. 6 but postponed because of the frigid temperatures, invites "cowgals" to come out at 7 p.m. to The Carraig Pub at Chicago Gaelic Park for a country-themed evening with music and dancing. Go to the venue's website for more details.
SATURDAY, FEB. 1
- Oak Forest Raiders 2014 season registration: The city football team will hold its second registration/food drive for all players and cheerleaders ages 8 to 13 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Go to Patch's Events Calendar for details.
- Marvin Little Experience: This soul group performs at 8 p.m. at The Linger Martini Bar. Go to the lounge's website for more details.
- Sign Up Now for Oak Forest Relay for Life 2014: Residents ready to hit the track for a good cause might have to wait to walk—but they can sign up now. Registration is now open for Oak Forest's Relay for Life 2014, to be held Friday, June 20.
- Register f or the Oak Forest Fleadh 5K: The Fleadh is coming and registration for the 5K, which kicks off at 8:30 a.m. March 8, is already under way. The cost is $30 for pre-registration and $35 for registration the day of the race.