15 Sep 2014
49° Clear
Patch Instagram photo by patch
Patch Instagram photo by patch
Patch Instagram photo by patch
Patch Instagram photo by patch
Patch Instagram photo by uactheatre

NWSOFA Climate Change Team – Thorium, Molten Salt Reactors, and Green Energy

NWSOFA Climate Change

Thorium, Molten Salt Reactors, and Green Energy

Come to this event with an open mind and lots of questions, and be prepared to at least entertain the thought of Thorium as a source of electricity.

This July 17 educational event, to be presented by Tim Pearson, Vice-President of NEXTCHEM Process Analyzers, Inc., will include a detailed explanation of why Molten Salt Reactors are superior to our present Light Water Reactors, and how they can be designed to use Thorium nuclear waste generated by U.S. wind/solar/ electric car manufacturing, keeping Green Manufacturing jobs in the U.S instead of remaining in China. These Molten Salt Reactors could also be designed to use High Level Nuclear Waste.

Thorium nuclear energy could also be part of the Illinois energy mix related to the EPA Carbon Pollution Standards released June 2. Each state, including Illinois, will be implementing a carbon system to reduce CO2 emissions 30% by 2030. Each state will individually be assigned flexible criteria to meet its goal. Illinois currently depends on nuclear energy, and good, bad or indifferent realistically it will be part of the Illinois energy mix. An alternative to uranium nuclear energy is thorium nuclear energy.

In regard to Thorium generated electricity, within 10 years 83% of its fission products are stable and can be partitioned and sold. The remaining 17% of its fission products go to geologic isolation for 300 years, compared to all of the uranium fission products, which go to Yucca Mountain for 10,000 years of isolation. Thorium also cannot be converted for atomic bomb purposes, and in the case of a tsunami it would cake up. Long term Thorium could possibly become an important part of our zero carbon future.

Thorium July 17 Flyer – R.713

http://youtu.be/Nl5DiTPw3dk

Host: Joe Salvato - Contact Phone: 847-769-1686

First United Methodist Church of Arlington Heights, 1903 East Euclid Avenue, Arlington Heights, IL  60004

Date and Time: Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm (Doors Open at 6:30 pm)

Share This Article