Jul 28, 2014
64°
Partly Cloudy

Dryer Fire Displaces Plainfield Family

Building inspectors said the house was uninhabitable following fire that spread from the laundry room into other areas of the home.

Dryer Fire Displaces Plainfield Family
A fire that started in a dryer caused significant damage to a home in the 11500 block of Legacy Drive in the north end of Plainfield, officials said Friday night.

Plainfield Deputy Chief Jon Stratton said the fire was called in at around 8:10 p.m. after a smoke detector went off and the homeowner saw smoke coming from the dryer.

The family — a mother, father and two children — were outside when fire crews arrived and escaped unharmed, Stratton said.

With Plainfield's  Fire Station 3 just six blocks from the home, it was a matter of minutes before firefighters arrived, Stratton said, but the blaze spread quickly.

"The fire extended from a laundry room area all the way to the living room," and was spreading into the second floor when firefighters arrived, Stratton said. 

Stratton said an inspector from the Village of Plainfield's building department checked the home and determined it was uninhabitable.

He estimated damage to the home at around $250,000, including the contents of the house.

He said the family was staying with relatives following the blaze.

Don’t miss updates from Patch!