Update, 10 p.m.
No fatalities were reported in Monday morning's I-55 crashes, but Illinois State Police have revised their count to say that a total of 13 vehicles were involved in five separate crashes at around 7:45 a.m.
According to WJOL, the incidents began with two accidents near I-55 and Route 6, and the other three crashes occurred near I-55 and Bluff Road.
The crashes caused lengthy delays for drivers as all northbound lanes in the area were closed for most of the morning.
Three people were taken to local hospitals, and one person had to be airlifted following the crashes.
Update, 1:45 p.m.:
State police confirmed that two people were transported to area hospitals and one was airlifted after numerous crashes at around 7:45 a.m. Monday morning on northbound I-55 near Channahon.
Officials continue to investigate five different crashes involving at least nine vehicles, including several semi-trailers:
- Crash 1: An unknown number of vehicles involved in a crash north of Route 6
- Crash 2: One vehicle involved in a crash, also north of Route 6
- Crash 3: Two semi-trailers involved in a crash north of Route 6
- Crash 4: Two passenger vehicles involved in a crash 1,000 feet south of Route 6
- Crash 5: Two semi-trailers and one SUV involved in a crash one-quarter mile north of Bluff Road
Police said the cause of the crashes was unknown as of Monday afternoon, and said no further information was immediately available.
All lanes are now open on northbound I-55 between Route 6 and Bluff Road.
A stretch of Interstate 55 northbound was closed following a traffic crash Monday morning.
No information yet on any injuries, but a Flight for Life chopper is on the scene.
Estimated time to reopen the lanes is expected to be lengthy, according to a release from Illinois State Police.
Drivers are advised to consider the following options:
- I-55 Exit 241—River Rd. to IL Rt 53 north to I-80
- I-55 Exit 220—IL Rt 47 north to I-80