JOBS, JOBS, JOBS November unemployment figures show Illinois moving out of the second-worst-in-the-nation position it occupied for much of 2013. But we're still struggling. We've got it broken down several ways:
- JOBS CELLAR Here are the worst 10 states for unemployment.
- NATIONWIDE Click here to see the national rankings of all 50 states.
- ILLINOIS SUCCESSES Some Illinois cities have much lower unemployment than the state average. Here are the Top 10.
- STRUGGLING CITIES These Illinois towns are the worst in the state for joblessness. The list is here.
MOVIN' OUT Earlier this year, United Van Lines published a survey showing Illinois as one of the most moved-from states in the country. (We turned it into this infographic.) Now Allied Van Lines has a similar survey with similar results. More here.
FUTURE GAZING Has there ever been a year with as much prediction potential as 2014? Will unions team up to keep Bruce Rauner from winning the Republican nomination for governor? Who will face Pat Quinn in November? Will Quinn prevail? What will happen to the income tax increase scheduled to end a year from tomorrow? Will the Illinois Supreme Court uphold the pension reform bill? Will the Bears rebound in 2014? Will the Blackhawks repeat? So many possibilities. We want to hear your thoughts for the year that starts Wednesday. Click here and share your prediction!
DEMOCRATS, REPUBLICANS, REBOOT ILLINOIS If you live in Lake or McHenry counties, please join us and Republican state Sen. Pamela Althoff, Democratic state Rep. Jack Franks and Republican state Rep. Barbara Wheeler at a special town hall forum on January 14th in Woodstock. Details here and let us know you're coming, please.
TOP 5 As 2013 comes to a close, here are today's top political and government headlines from around Illinois:
- 5. Illinois taxpayers will receive a sheet offering a broad overview of how Illinois spends money in their tax returns this year. (
4. Gov. Quinn has come up with a new plan for revenue generated by closing corporate tax loopholes. ( Pantagraph)
3. A large national trade union political action committee just donated $100,000 to Pat Quinn’s campaign. ( Chicago Sun-Times)
2. Gov. Quinn’s 2013 could be ruled favorable thanks to some late successes. ( NBC Chicago)
1. According to a survey, Illinois ranked in the top five states people moved from in 2013. ( Chicago Sun-Times)