The first phase of the redevelopment project will involve the exterior of the mall while a developer is currently working to woo new tenants, according to the article.
- Tell us in the comments section: What new tenants would you like to see at the St. Charles mall?
The proposed plans for The Quad St. Charles include:
- Keeping the building as an enclosed shopping mall
- Removing the vacant former Sears anchor store
- Removing and relocating the food court
- Reconfiguring the front entrances to the mall and movie theater to create a new "front" to the mall building
- Additional retail/commercial buildings around the mall, including outlot buildings along Main Street (Illinois Route 64)
- No changes to the detention basins or landscaping along the north property line of the mall
Later this year, when the exterior work is completed, construction will begin on interior of the mall, with the goal of completing all work to the mall building by Fall 2015.
The developers are also working to coordinate parking and access to the anchor stores and theater, which will remain open during the duration of the construction.