Another Suspect in Ashford House Attack Arrested in Chicago
Tinley Park police confirmed that a sixth man suspected in the 2012 attack has been charged.
Jason R. Hammond, 28, of the 3300 block of South Morgan Street, is charged with armed violence, aggravated battery and mob action, police said.Hammond was set to appear before a Cook County judge to set bond, police said.
Eighteen masked people entered the Tinley Park restaurant on May 19, 2012, armed with weapons and attacked an alleged white nationalist group holding a meeting. Five people were arrested shortly after the attack.
READ: Check Out Patch's Ashford House Attack Section for Complete Coverage
"We've been on this case very diligently since it happened," said Tinley Park Police Chief Steven Neubauer. Investigators are working to track down the remaining dozen suspects from the attack.
The Tinley Park 5, as they had become known since the brutal attack with hammers and metal batons, pleaded guilty to several felonies on Jan. 4. They originally had pleaded not guilty in a Cook County court. The five Indiana men, who range in age from 20 to 33, received between 42 months and six years in state prison. All had been in police custody since the May 19 assault.
The men purported to have orchestrated the attack were claimed to be part of an anti-racist group who had descended on a group of they believed were white nationalists, according to Patch reports after the attack. One of the victims told Patch the claims about his group were misleading and that the purpose of their group was to help other "European people."
The defendants who have already been convicted are John Tucker, 26; Cody Sutherlin, 24; Dylan Sutherlin, 20; Alex Stuck, 22; and Jason Sutherlin, 33. Three of the men are brothers.
Another 12 suspects remain at large, police said.