A good night’s sleep is something that everyone needs to function at an optimal level, but unfortunately its importance is being discounted as people’s lives get busier and busier. Research has shown that lack of sleep can have more serious implications than just being tired the next day, as it has been linked to weight gain, mood disorders and heart disease.
A new survey conducted by Art Van Furniture PureSleep, suggests Chicagoans may be at risk.
- Eight out of 10 Chicagoans surveyed aren’t getting 8 hours of sleep and 62 percent wake up experiencing pain.
- Six out of 10 Chicagoland residents surveyed have used alternative sleep methods (i.e., sleep aid, meditation, etc.) to fall asleep.
- 40 percent of Chicagoans surveyed have had their mattress for seven or more years.
- 84 percent of Chicagoans surveyed have had their pillow for more than one year.
In order to achieve the best sleep, a few simple sleep hygiene tips can be followed to help people fall asleep and stay asleep throughout the night.
1) Have a comfortable sleep environment.
This means having a cool, dark and quiet place to sleep as well as a comfortable bed and pillow.
2) Keep a consistent wake time.
This helps to control your internal clock and set it to a regular cycle. The bed time may vary depending on when you get sleepy, but the wake time should stay fixed even with a poor night of sleep the prior night.
3) Avoid daytime napping as this fulfills night time sleep requirements.
Napping may disturb the ability to fall or stay asleep
4) A healthy body sleeps better than an unhealthy body.
Exercising is encouraged but should be avoided in the few hours prior to bed time.
5) Avoid substances which can affect sleep.
Stimulants such as caffeine can be found in teas, coffee, soda and chocolate. This may make it difficult to fall asleep. Depressants such as alcohol are deceptive. They help you fall asleep faster but as the alcohol level in your blood drops, sleep is disrupted and we tend to wake more frequently.
Serious concerns about the inability to fall asleep should be directed towards a doctor, but following these easy steps is a good place to start. Art Van PureSleep features an in-store diagnostic test takes that can help find the mattress and pillow best suited to you to help ensure proper support, comfort and a good night’s sleep.