Jul 28, 2014
79°
Partly Cloudy

Baltimore County Warns Residents of CO Dangers

Residents are being urged to makes sure they have CO detectors installed in their homes.

Baltimore County Warns Residents of CO Dangers

Baltimore County is warning residents to be aware of the danger of CO buildup in homes during colder months.

CO is an odorless deadly gas that deprives the body of oxygen that can build up in a home when improperly maintained devices such as fireplaces, furnaces and wood stoves are in use.

"This information is extremely important and can be a matter of life and death," Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz said in a news release. "I hope that everyone will read this carefully and share it with family and friends."

The county is urging all residents to install CO detectors in their homes to alert residents about build up before it becomes a possibly deadly situation.

Last month 10 county residents in two separate were taken to the hospital because of faulty home furnaces.

"CO alarms save lives," Fire Chief John Hohman said in the news release. "Every home that includes a fuel-burning appliance has the potential to generate carbon monoxide, and every home should have alarms to detect carbon monoxide."

Don’t miss updates from Patch!