Jul 29, 2014
Partly Cloudy

2 Helicopters Respond after Crash in Joppa

Three people were hospitalized as a result of the crash, Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company reported.

2 Helicopters Respond after Crash in Joppa 2 Helicopters Respond after Crash in Joppa
Three people were taken to area hospitals Wednesday morning after a crash in Joppa that closed part of Philadelphia Road for several hours, according to the Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company (JMVFC).

At 12:02 a.m., JMVFC was called to a crash in the area of Joppa Farm Road and MD Route 7/Philadelphia Road, the report stated.

Crews found a single vehicle on Philadelphia Road—between Bulls Lane and Joppa Farm Road—that had significant damage to all sides, JMVFC said.

Two seriously injured adults were located near the vehicle, and one of the victims said there was another person whose whereabouts were unknown, JMVFC said.

Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera, which detects different levels of heat, to search the wooded areas on either side of the road for the third person, who was found in the woods approximately 200 feet west of the vehicle.

Due to the nature of the injuries to two of the patients, two medevac helicopters were requested to take them to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center, JMVFC said.

Joppa-Magnolia paramedics transported a man and woman from the crash site to the helipad at the fire company's main station on Old Mountain Road, where a Maryland State Police helicopter picked up the man and a University of Maryland Express Care medevac picked up the woman. They were in critical condition, JMVFC said.

In addition, a JMVFC paramedic unit transported another man, in serious condition, to the Johns Hopkins Bayview trauma center, the report stated.

As troopers investigated the crash,  Maryland State Police requested the JMVFC light tower to illuminate the scene, according to the report.

As of 2 a.m., Philadelphia Road remained blocked between Bulls Lane and Joppa Farm Road.

After 5:30 a.m., BGE workers were on-site directing traffic around a utility pole on Philadelphia Road damaged from the crash, according to WBAL.

By 8 a.m.,  transportation officials showed all lanes as open.

Don’t miss updates from Patch!