14 Sep 2014
59° Clear
Patch Instagram photo by longunderwearman
Patch Instagram photo by quadrofoglio
Patch Instagram photo by athomeinmygarden
Patch Instagram photo by daniellemastersonbooks
Patch Instagram photo by healthandbeautynz
Patch Instagram photo by andreagazeapt
Patch Instagram photo by reh_22
Patch Instagram photo by athomeinmygarden
Patch Instagram photo by pespatchpsp

Greenbelt Fire Causes an Estimated $20,000 in Damages

An unattended candle in a Greenbelt home is ruled the cause of the fire.

Greenbelt Fire Causes an Estimated $20,000 in Damages

An unattended candle in a second floor bedroom sparked the house fire on the 53 Court of Ridge Road in Greenbelt, MD, Wednesday night, Prince George's County Fire Department spokesman Mark Brady told Patch on Thursday.

He said investigators have labeled the fire as accidental.

A woman was at home when the fire started, according to Assistant Chief Christopher Ransom of the . She was treated on the scene for anxiety, he said. The house is going to need renovations after the smoke and water damage, according to Ransom.

Brady said the female resident could not stay in the townhouse because of the damage, which is estimated at $20,000. The county's Citizen Services Unit assisted the woman with her personal belongings and in finding temporary shelter, Brady reported.

The fire in a middle unit on 53 Court of Ridge Road started at around 7:30 p.m. and the Greenbelt fire crew showed up quickly, according to Ransom. Staffed with all volunteers, he said they did what they were trained to do—put the fire out and cleared the smoke in 3 to 5 minutes.

Most of the damage was in the back bedroom area.

Share This Article