When temperatures drop, steaming cups of hot chocolate, cozy sweaters and, of course, outdoor ice skating come to mind. The D.C. area has a variety of options for ice skating, including two new rinks arriving just in time for the 2012-2013 winter season.
- GEORGETOWN: The Georgetown waterfront's Washington Harbour complex will unveil its brand new ice skating rink just before Thanksgiving.
- COST: $9 for adults, $7 for children, seniors and military members. Skate rental is $5.
- HOURS: Monday through Thursday: noon to 9 p.m., Friday & Saturday: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., Sunday: 10 a.m. to 7p.m.
NATIONAL GALLERY of ART SCULPTURE GARDEN: Skate amidst the art of the National Gallery's sculpture garden in clear view of the Washington Monument. The rink opens Nov. 17.
- COST: $8 for adults, $7 for children (under 12)/seniors (55+) or students with a valid school ID. Skate rental is $3.
- HOURS: Monday through Thursday: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday and Saturday: 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., Sunday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
CAPITOL RIVERFRONT: Canal Park, a brand new neighborhood gem on Capitol Hill, will offer ice skating during the winter months that is meant to be reminiscent of skating along the canals of Europe. (Closest Metro stations are Eastern Market and Navy Yard). The rink opens Nov. 16.
- SILVER SPRING:
- HOURS: Monday through Thursday: Noon to 10 p.m., Friday: Noon to 11 p.m., Saturday: 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., Sunday: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- COST: $8 for adults, $7 for children (under 12)/seniors (55+). Skate rental is $3.