The Carroll County 4-H & FFA Fair is a local tradition that brings together a diverse and large crowd to celebrate the rich agriculture and farming history of Carroll County.
The fair itself has a rich history that started in 1897.
According to the Carroll County Fair website, the fair began as an annual picnic that was held on Aug. 14, 1897 at the Otterdale Schoolhouse. There was a parade to Gouldens’s Grove, preceded by the Taneytown Band, then prayer and music before lunch. In the afternoon speakers from the Maryland Agriculture Institute addressed the crowd.
By July 29, 1899, 2,000 attended and a “WELCOME” arch was erected at the entrance, which remained a tradition of the fair for years to come.
Since 1954, the Carroll County Agriculture Center has been the home of the Carroll County 4-H & FFA Fair. The fair is a showcase of Carroll County 4-H and FFA members exhibiting from 62 project areas ranging from livestock, crafts, gardening to technology and fine arts.
This year's fair offers traditional events and activities, including the ever popular pig racing as well as new events like chainsaw carving. Country singer-songwriter Kip Moore will also perform live on Saturday, Aug. 4, at 8 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the raffle booth on the midway until Wednesday.
Event Schedule Friday, July 27:
- 5 p.m. - Tractor Pull
- 7 p.m. - Ribbon Cutting Ceremony, Dedication of "Buck Miller Arena"
- 7:30 p.m. - Tractor and Semi Truck Pull (paid event)
Event Schedule Saturday, July 28:
- 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Carroll County Farmers Market
- 9 a.m. - Bicycle Contest
- 10 a.m. - Breeding Swine Show followed by Breeding Meat Goat, Breeding Beef Heifer and Breeding Sheep Show
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Robotics Contest
- 10 a.m. - Alpaca Show
- 1 p.m. - Children's Pedal Pull (registration at noon)
- 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. - Indoor Exhibits Open to the Public
- 3 p.m. - Southern Barnyard Pig Racing
- 4 p.m. - Cow Pie Bingo
- 4 p.m. - Clover Food Entry Bake Sale
- 4:30 p.m. - Family Fun Fest
- 6 p.m. Combined Demolition Derby (paid event, gates open at 5 p.m.)
- 7 p.m. - Southern Barnyard Pig Racing
Patch will post the next day's event schedule throughout the week. Visit the Carroll County Fair website to see the schedule for the entire week.
Get Fair updates throughout the day, follow Westminster Patch on Facebook.
Other Carroll County Fair articles on Patch that may interest you: