1. The National Weather Service predicts a very windy day with highs in the 60s. Gusts could reach up to 50 mph. In the afternoon, gusts are predicted to pick up, reaching up to 70 mph with a 100 percent chance of rain. The evening will continue to be heavily windy and rainy.
2. Stay home: Boston public schools are closed for everyone but nonessential employees and many workplaces are doing the same today. The governor has declared a state of emergency and is asking people to stay in, or at least off the roads, all day.
3. But if you must: You can use the T. The MBTA has cancelled their ferries services but the subway, bus, commuter rail and RIDE will operate on a normal schedule this morning.
4. Keep informed: Back Bay Patch will be providing full Hurricane Sandy coverage throughout the day. You can also get valuable information over your smartphones with these handy apps.
5. Back Bay Info Center: Help your neighbors by reporting downed branches, power outages and more.