Jul 30, 2014

Red Raiders Stage Upset Over Catholic Memorial

The Barnstable High School boys ice hockey team (5-2-3) staged a major upset over visiting Catholic Memorial last night at the Hyannis Youth & Community Center, 3-2, on a shootout goal from senior captain Max Willman.

Red Raiders Stage Upset Over Catholic Memorial Red Raiders Stage Upset Over Catholic Memorial Red Raiders Stage Upset Over Catholic Memorial

They just wouldn't quit.

Facing the number two-ranked team in the state - Catholic Memorial - the Barnstable High Red Raiders battled, scrapped and outwilled their guests in a 3-2 "Shootout" victory at the Hyannis Youth & Community Center. Senior captain Max Willman scored the sole goal in the shootout period while Barnstable junior goalie Kevin Huska stopped all three Catholic Memorial attempts in brilliant fashion, en route to victory. Due to MIAA rules, a shootout victory counts as a tie.

The Barnstable win came during the nightcap of the 1st Annual Nate Nickerson Invitational. In the tournament opener, Falmouth (Maine) defeated Moses Brown, 3-2, in regulation.

Down 2-1 with time almost gone in the third period, Barnstable's Connor Fries fired home the game-tying goal at the 13:33 mark, assisted by Eric Rogorzenski and Max Willman.

It was Willman - Barnstable's leading scorer this season thus far - who gave the Red & White the win after a scoreless overtime frame followed by the "Shootout" period. In a shootout situation, each team is awarded three opportunities to score goals. Barnstable sent up Willman, Pat Besse and Rogorzenski, while Catholic Memorial offered Jack O'Hear, Liam Coughlin and Beau Starrett. Only Willman was able to light up the lamp.

Barnstable was first to score in this much-awaited match-up, with Rogorzenski wheeling and dealing at the 11:51 mark in the first period to make it 1-0, assisted by Fries. 

Catholic Memorial - perhaps shaken up throughout by the vicious and relentless checking of senior Jason Frieh - shook off the cobwebs to tie it up on an O'Hear goal to make it 1-1 at the 13:00 mark.

Incredibly, it was Huska who kept the Red & White in this game, to a great degree, as Barnstable could must but three shots in the second period while the home team's goaltender took a virtual peppering by Catholic Memorial. Tim Weinstein put Catholic Memorial ahead, 2-1, about halfway through the second frame.

Catholic Memorial outshot Barnstable 38-15, all totalled.

Colin Jones also played well on defense for Barnstable. 

Don’t miss updates from Patch!