1. Christmas tree collection: Public Works will collect Christmas trees for composting from January 7-18; on Beacon Hill collections will be Friday, January 11 and 18. Remove all ornaments, decorations, and stands from trees and place trees at the curb by 7 a.m. on your recycling day. Do not put trees in plastic bags, and don't forget to recycle your holiday cards, catalogs and wrapping paper as well.
2. New historical society exhibition: To commemorate 150th anniversary of the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation, the Massachusetts Historical Society will open two exhibitions on Jan. 1 featuring several rarely seen Lincoln artifacts on display, including the pen he used to sign the Emancipation Proclamation. The galleries, at 1154 Boylston St., will be open on Jan. 1 from noon to 4 p.m. The exhibitions will be open through May 24, Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
3. Blink! in last week: The state-of-the-art light and sound extravaganza that has transformed Faneuil Hall, is in its last week. It uses over 350,000 LED lights to illuminate Boston’s skyline and features the music of the Boston Pops. Blink! will run Monday - Saturday from 10 a.m to 9 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. through Tuesday, Jan. 1.
4. By the way, those tickets are half-price this week: It's the final week of the Mayor's Holiday Special! Head to the Copley Square and Faneuil Hall Marketplace BosTix booths to get your half-price tickets.
5. Weather: The National Weather Service predicts a sunny day with a high near 36. The evening will cloud over and the temperature will drop to 23.