4. Friday Night Lights returns to Belmont as Belmont High School Marauders football is finally back at Harris Field from three road games to open the season as the boys take on Wakefield High School at 6 p.m. Come see the team, hear the band and eat hot dogs. Also in town today are Girls' Volleyball (hosting Woburn High) and Girls' Swimming (vs. Winchester High) in the Wenner Field House at 4 p.m.
2. Playtime is a drop-in, informal playgroup for toddlers and preschoolers, where both children and adults can meet new friends. The fun starts at 10:30 a.m. in the Children's Room of the Belmont Public Library. Call the Children's Room at 617-993-2880 with any questions.
3. The Benton Library, Belmont's independent and all volunteer-run library, is open every Friday morning from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. It's a great time to explore, borrow and use the children's section informally. Also, come see the new collection of New York Times bestsellers the library just purchased including “The Time Keeper,” by Mitch Albom, “Zoo,” by James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge, “NW,” by Zadie Smith and “Where’d you go Bernadette?” by Maria Semple.
4. Yoga, taught by professional instructors, is being held this morning from 9:15 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. at the Plymouth Congregational Church, 582 Pleasant St, in Gardiner Hall, at the back of the church. $10. All levels welcome just bring your own mat if you can. $6 per child for child care. All proceeds benefit Plymouth Nursery School.
5. Come take a gentle morning walk with a friendly group of people around the Town Field neighborhood. The walks kick off from the Beech Street Center at 9:30 a.m.
group of people for a gentle walk around the neighborhood.