Jul 29, 2014
73°
Mostly Cloudy

Fire Log: Kitchen, Fireplace Is Where the Action Was

Incidents and emergencies handled by the Belmont Fire Department.

Fire Log: Kitchen, Fireplace Is Where the Action Was

Up the pole

Nov. 18 – Just before half past 2 p.m., the entire company was sent to Simmons Avenue for a reported fire. When Engine 2 got there, they discovered that a light pole was in flames from apparent electrical contact. The Belmont Municipal Light Department arrived on the scene and confirmed to the firefighters that the power to the pole was disconnected which allowed Engine 2 to extinguish the fire as well as cool down the pole and the surrounding area. The Light Department remained on scene to handle bringing power back to the neighborhood. 

Burner burning

Nov. 19 – A minute after 1 a.m., Engine 2, Ladder 1 and an engine from Watertown took to the early morning streets to a multifamily building on Ericsson Street for smoke in the building. They were met by a first-floor resident who said the oil burner "had a problem" and despite being serviced, she believes it to be the source of the odor. Fire personnel from Engine 2 and Ladder 1 found in the basement the first-floor burner unit malfunctioned but the fire was confined to the burner. The unit was shut down and red tagged for service. Fire officials and the occupants left a message with the property owner to respond to the problem. The first-floor tenants will contact their oil burner technician to service the burner.

Lunch will not be served

Nov. 19 – There was a lot of excitement outside a Beech Street day care center around 2:30 p.m. when fire engines came by for what turned out to be a cooking accident: a meal was left a bit too long on the stove and it got a bit smokey.

Park it there

Nov. 19 – At half past 4 p.m., fire crews needed only travel a few hundred feet down Leonard Street to investigate for the outside odor of natural gas near a parking garage. Yet gas meter readings were "unremarkable" but firefighters will keep a eye on the location.

Dog day afternoon

On Nov. 21, the day before Thanksgiving, fire fighters could have strolled to an incident on Leonard Street where a woman locked her Dodge Ram pickup and then lost her keys. And her dog was locked inside! The crew was able to gain entry and free the K9 so it could have a Happy Thanksgiving. 

Smells too good

On Nov. 21, the day before Thanksgiving, just after a quarter past 3 p.m., Engine 2 and Ladder 1 were sent to a Clairemont Road residence after an alarm went off at the location and was picked up by the central station. The Engine 2 crew discovered that the alarm went off due to all the pre-Thanksgiving cooking going on in the kitchen. It turns out that the homeowner actually reset the alarm before the BFD personnel arrived. 

All-day cooking incident

On Nov. 21, the day before Thanksgiving, just after 4:40 p.m., Engine 1 and Ladder 1 were sent to a Sycamore Street house for a reported gas leak. On arrival, the Engine 1 crew investigated and found a problem with the gas-fired cook top in the kitchen which was being used for pre-Thanksgiving cooking. The gas supply to the unit was shut down and dwelling ventilated. The occupant was told to notify the landlord to have the oven serviced.

Hope they have a large enough microwave

Late on Nov. 21, the day before Thanksgiving, at 11:11 p.m., Engine 1 was sent to a Beech Street two-family after a resident reported that the carbon monoxide detector was blaring in the kitchen. And the Engine 1 personnel found CO readings in the kitchen area of 17 parts per million which is an elevated measurement. Firefighters were told by the occupant that the oven had been used for an extended period that day. After crews shut down the oven and ventilated the area, the CO readings in the kitchen shot down to zero.

Smoke 'em if you got one

Nov. 23 – Just after 2 p.m., Engine 2 and Ladder 1 were sent to a Birch Hill Road house for a smoke detector going nuts. Turns out the smoke in the house was coming from the fireplace. 

Check it out

Nov. 24 – All Belmont crews and units were sent a minute before 8 p.m. to a Hammond Road two-family for thick smoke filling the house. Turns out that the smoke was being produced by the holiday fire located in the fireplace. The crews extinguished the flames in the hearth and removed the logs outdoors. A quick investigation discovered that the damper was not working up to snuff. While the building was being vented, the owner was advised to have the fireplace looked at before another festive fire is lit. 

Don’t miss updates from Patch!