14 Sep 2014
57° Clear
Patch Instagram photo by longunderwearman
Patch Instagram photo by quadrofoglio
Patch Instagram photo by athomeinmygarden
Patch Instagram photo by daniellemastersonbooks
Patch Instagram photo by healthandbeautynz
Patch Instagram photo by andreagazeapt
Patch Instagram photo by reh_22
Patch Instagram photo by athomeinmygarden
Patch Instagram photo by pespatchpsp

Fire Log: Gas Is Leaking Inside and Out

Incidents and emergencies handled by the Belmont Fire Department.

Fire Log: Gas Is Leaking Inside and Out

Refilling event

May 22 – At 8:22 a.m., fire personnel were dispatched to the former Belmont Municipal Light Department building on Concord Avenue after an empty sprinkler system became filled with water and activated a water flow alarm. Companies that investigated the building found no signs of a water leak. Fire Department firefighters shut down and drained the system. Kevin Looney from the town's Building Services responded. The system was red tagged.

Gas inside

May 24 – At 11:21 p.m., Engine 2, Ladder 1 and a command car were dispatched to a house on Little Pond Road to investigate a natural gas detector going off in a single family house. Ladder 1 found that CO readings were high in the basement and normal readings on the first and second floors. Fire companies checked and ventilated the utilities, ventilated and shut down the gas hot water heater as a precaution. The gas company arrived on scene and equipment readings returned to normal. The homeowner was advised to have his HVAC system checked by a qualified professional. 

Gas outside

May 26 – At 7:12 a.m., units were dispatched to a location on Lewis Road for an outside natural gas leak. This is an ongoing issue in the area. It appeared to be a future work site for National Gird as there were markings in the street. There were very low readings on gas detection equipment when it was held directly over the vent holes drilled in the street. Readings from homes in the area were negative. National Grid was notified to respond.

Grass going up

May 28 – At 12:47 p.m., fire department personnel were dispatched to Lexington Street for a small mulch and grass fire in front of a flagpole. Firefighters discovered that an underground electrical splice box adjacent to the fire had a high heat signature. The Belmont Municipal Light Department was called to the scene but did not find a problem.

Share This Article