July 24 – Just after 5 p.m., Engines 1 and 3 and a command car were sent to Belmont High School after a fire alarm went off. Turns out that the alarm was activated due to a new coat of paint being slapped on the walls.
Lightning strike ends program
July 24 – A Rockmont Road resident was enjoying some television time around 9:15 p.m. when suddenly a bolt of lightning hit closeby her house. Immediately afterwards her TV lost reception and her dwelling began filling with an electrical burning odor. Engine 1, 2 and 3, Rescue 1, Cambridge Fire Department Ladder 4 arrived to find a slight burning smell inside. The entire house was checked. The firefighters disconnected the television and the homeowner was advised to have the electrical outlets checked by an electrician.
Something in the air
July 28 – Just before 1 p.m., the residents of a unit in a Bellevue Road two-family began smelling what they thought was leaking natural gas. The crew from Engine 2 shut off the gas to the stove and the gas fireplace insert in the
living room. An faint odor was detected on the first floor but no readings were found with the gas meter. Engine 3 firefighters opened windows throughout the building to ventilate the place while the homeowner was advised to call a plumber.