20 Aug 2014
58° Clear
Patch Instagram photo by ermyceap
Patch Instagram photo by taratesimu
Patch Instagram photo by taratesimu
Patch Instagram photo by lilyava299
Patch Instagram photo by _mollfairhurst
Patch Instagram photo by thecontemporaryhannah
Patch Instagram photo by lucyketch
Patch Instagram photo by laurabarreto87
Patch Instagram photo by lghtwght

Fire Log: Vacation + Broken Toilet = Unhappy Homecoming

Incidents and emergencies handled by the Belmont Fire Department.

Fire Log: Vacation + Broken Toilet = Unhappy Homecoming

Political hot spot

Thursday, Aug. 23 – Just after 5:30 p.m., fire engines from Belmont Fire Department headquarters were sent to the traffic island at Common Street and Trapelo Road for a small fire in the mulch. A popular location for political candidates to stand and wave their signs, fire crew put out the smoldering flame before it could erupt into a larger blaze.

Vacation great, coming home ...

Friday, Aug. 24 – Again, just after 5:30 p.m., a Shaw Road resident came back from a restful vacation to encounter every home owner's nightmare. It appears that a toilet supply line in the second-floor bathroom broke, causing a cascade of water to leak through the center of the house. The resulting gusher resulted in the first-floor and basement ceilings to collapse. Firefighters also determined that the entire house was an electrical hazard since the power was still on when they arrived. They immediately shut off the water supply from the street valve and turned off the electrical supply at the basement panel. The homeowner was told to get the OK from the town's building department before even attempting to return home from the vacation.

"Just toss your cigarette anywhere"

Saturday, Aug. 25 – Minutes before 11 a.m., Engines 1 and 2, Ladder 1 and Watertown Engine 1 were sent to scenic Belmont Street for the report of an outdoor fire too close to a house. On arrival, Engine 1 reported the brush fire was extinguished by a resident prior to the crew's arrival. It should come to no ones surprise that the brush was ignited by "a careless disposal of smoking materials."

Share This Article