If you're looking for coffee and the paper in Belmont today, Thanksgiving Day, you're in luck.
While today is a national holiday – one of ten holidays recognized by the federal government – and most businesses (including Shaw's Supermarket) along with federal, state and town offices are shut, there are a few places where you can get away from the hustle and bustle of the kitchen or pick up a coffee before the annual Belmont/Watertown football game at Harris Field at 10:15 this morning.
• Ohlin's Bakery, 456 Common St. 6 a.m. to noon. Yes, the Cushing Square institution will be open after hearing from their customers. Get your donuts and any last-minute pie or cake selections for the big meal.
• Starbucks, at 47 Leonard St. and 112 Trapelo Rd. 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Have to escape the family for an hour? Grab a latte and a newspaper and chill out in Cushing Square or the Center.
• Dunkin' Donuts, at 353 Trapelo Rd. and 52 Church St. 5 a.m. 'til sometime in the late afternoon/night. Well, duh! Famous for being open on holidays, head over to Waverley and Central squares for a large regular and a glazed before the game.
• CVS Pharmacy at 264 Trapelo Rd. and 60 Leonard St. Employees said they are open regular hours (7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Trapelo and 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. in the Center) but that the pharmacies will have shortened times; a 2 p.m. closing on Trapelo. Definitely call.
• Bruegger's Bagels, 41 Leonard St. They were open from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. last year for the bagel fan in all of us.