The first televised U.S. presidential debate took place today in 1960 between John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon. Beyond policy differences, Kennedy's sharper physical image was said to have put him over the top in this debate. From the New York Times the following day: "Mr. Nixon, wearing pancake makeup to cover his dark beard, smiled more frequently as he made his points and dabbed frequently at the perspiration that beaded out on his chin."
1. At 7 p.m. tonight at Town Hall, local officials will question the final three candidates for Braintree Police Chief. For more information on the finalists, go to http://braintree.patch.com/articles/three-police-chief-finalists-named-by-mayor.
2. The Braintree Retirement Board meets at 10 a.m. this morning on the second floor of 74 Pond St.
3. The Reader's Group Book Club meets at 7:15 p.m. in the Logan Auditorium at Thayer Public Library. This meeting's pick is Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.
4. More Thayer Library activities today here: http://www.eventkeeper.com/code/events.cfm?curOrg=THAYER.
5. Activities today at the Senior Center on Cleveland Avenue include:
9:15 a.m. Exercise
10 a.m. Crafts and Quilting Group
Noon Pool Players, Poker, and Movie Day- Movie: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel