Nearly 3,000 people were killed on Sept. 11, 2001 when terrorists hijacked four passenger jets out of Boston, Washington and Newark. Two crashed into the Twin Towers in New York City, another was piloted into the Pentagon and the fourth was downed in a field in Pennsylvania when the passengers tried to take control of the plane.
1. Those events will be remembered locally during a ceremony this morning at the HQ at 8:30 a.m. In attendance will be Mayor Joseph Sullivan, Town Councilors and other state officials, along with the Fire Department Chaplin and members of all of Veterans Organizations. Music will be provided by the Choir.
is also hosting a Sept. 11 memorial lunch with police officers and firefighters today from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
2. At 2 p.m., the Board of License Commissioners meets on the lower level of . The agenda includes Lord & Taylor's request for a precious metals dealer license and a public hearing for Wasabi South Shore Company, at the Plaza, petitioning for a food license and wine and malt license.
3. Thayer Public Library is hosting the Second Tuesday Book Club at 7:15 p.m. in the Reading Room. This month's pick is A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff.
4. The Planning Board meets at 7 p.m. at Town Hall this evening. The agenda includes review of to renovate its dock, September Zoning Board petitions and other items.
5. Activities today at the Senior Center on Cleveland Avenue include:
9 a.m. S&S Bus (housing) and Chess
9:30 a.m. Computer 101A and Bocce (outdoors)
10 a.m. Walking Group, Blood Pressure (free) at Senior Center, SHINE ins. help and Wii Bowling
10:45 a.m. Computer 101B
1 p.m. Bridge & Cribbage
3 p.m. Supper Club to: Jamie’s/Whitman