Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Tuesday, Sept. 11. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Feels like autumn: Well, nothing we can do about, fall is coming and today will feel like it. According to the National Weather Service we can expect sunny skies with a high near 71 degrees. Mostly clear tonight and cool with a low around 49.
- Remembrance ceremony: The will be holding a short ceremony in remembrance of the September 11, 2001 attacks on the Town Commons at 9:50 a.m. this morning.
- Public meetings: The Board of Health is meeting at 7 p.m. in the main hearing room at . The Grand View Farm Committee is meeting at 7 p.m. in the basement meeting room of the Town Hall Annex. The School Committee is meeting at 7:30 p.m. in the meeting room at .
- New career help: The is hosting a program from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. today. This is a networking and workshop dedicated to providing a 'roadmap to re-employment' for transitioning professionals. It is free and all are welcome.
- September 11, 2001: On this day in 2001, America faced terrorist attacks in New York City, Washington D.C., and western Pennsylvania. Terrorists had hijacked planes and flew them into the World Trade Center and Pentagon building. The passengers on the flight hijacked out of Newark, NJ vowed to not go down without a fight and attacked the cockpit. The plane crashed in western Pennsylvania, keeping it from hitting its intended target, which may have been the White House. Thousands of people were killed in the attacks, including 343 New York City firefighters, 23 NYC police officers and 37 Port Authority police officers.