Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Friday, Aug. 19. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Rain and sun: Looks like another day of changing weather. According to the National Weather Service we can expect a chance of shower and thunderstorms in the afternoon, mostly after 1 p.m. Otherwise it will be mostly sunny with a high temperature near 85 degrees.
- Needle talk: The is hosting the monthly today from 10 to 11:45 a.m. This club offers participants a chance to learn, share, and motivate one another in the art of knitting.
- Theater night: Burlington Center for the Arts is holding its inaugural musical theatre event with a production of "" at 7:30 tonight. The musical will be performed at 6 Lexington Street and the cost is $20 for adults and $15 for children and seniors.
- Healthy living: The , 61 Center St. is holding a "" exercise program for people 55 years and older at 9:15 a.m. today. This class will teach participants methods to live life to the fullest and have fun while strength training, balancing, moving and stretching.
- Norm!: On this day in 1993 the highly-popular sitcom "Cheers" ran it's final episode following an 11-year run on NBC. The show followed the trials, tribulations and petty problems of the regulars of a Boston-based bar. Though it was almost cancelled during the first season due to low rating, Cheers eventually became one of the highest-rated shows in the United States, coming out in the top 10 for eight of it's 11 seasons. And that, as Cliff Clavin would say, is a "little known fact."
For more things to do today, check out our Events page.