Some highlights include:
- Free service will be offered across all MBTA lines on New Year’s Eve, Dec. 31, beginning at 8 p.m.
- All subway lines will operate on a modified weekday schedule from 3 p.m. to 2 a.m. New Year’s Eve, Dec. 31, except the Silver line, which will be on a regular weekday schedule.
- All subway lines will operate on a Sunday schedule New Year’s Day, Jan. 1, 2013.
- Many last trains have been extended Jan. 1 to 2 a.m.
- All commuter rail trains will operate on a modified weekday schedule with additional service New Year's Eve, Dec. 31, and a Sunday schedule Jan. 1. (The Fairmount, Greenbush and Needham lines will not operate Jan. 1.)