The number of law enforcement personnel at the race will double following last year's bombings, according to the Boston Herald.
The security plan will "not be driven by the cost,” Peter Judge, spokesman for the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency, told the Herald.
Other security measures include:
- Unregistered "bandit" runners who have historically participated in the race will no longer be allowed to do so
- Runners will be given clear plastic bags for their personal items and will not be allowed to use backpacks
- There will be security checkpoints throughout the race area
- The size of water bottles will be limited
- Costumes with facial coverings will not be allowed