- Kary Andrinopoulos and Ted Kougianos have a standing tradition now of holding their own ceremony with local veterans at their restaurant New Brothers Restaurant & Deli to remember the lives lost on Sept. 11, 2001. At 8:30 a.m. every Sept. 11, the owners and color guards for the American Legion and VFW gather outside the front of the restaurant for a brief ceremony. There is a moment of silence at 8:46 a.m. in memory of Danvers resident Karen Martin and other victims aboard American Airlines Flight 11, which crashed into one of the Twin Towers. Taps are played and and everyone is invited inside afterward for breakfast. Andrinopoulos actually started the tradition with friends at his home in Peabody 12 years ago, and then moved the ceremony over to Danvers a few years ago as the regular crowd continued to grow.
- The Planning Board meets Tuesday (7 p.m.) at the Senior Center (You can find the
agenda here). The main item for discussion will be a study with the Metropolitan Area Planning Council in regard to possibly rezoning the industrial district at the corner of Pine and Holten streets to allow for some different uses in light of the recent trend of more mixed-use development (commercial with residential above).
- Signup to become a Danvers Girl Scout this fall. There's an informational event scheduled for Tuesday (7 p.m.) at the Holten-Richmond Middle School.
- Danvers Community Access TV is looking for volunteer sports announcers for football or basketball games at Danvers High. Interested? Call over to the studio.
- The fifth annual Octoberfest sponsored by the Danvers Democratic Town Committee is coming up Sept. 28. Mark your calendars.
Make sure to check our local events calendar and boards section for even more happenings around Danvers.