23 Aug 2014
61° Clear
Patch Instagram photo by hsinclair_x0

Report: Three-Alarm Blaze Started by Cigarette

One firefighter was injured in the blaze.

Report: Three-Alarm Blaze Started by Cigarette

The cause of the three-alarm fire that destroyed a Sylvan Street home last Friday was caused by the “careless disposal of smoking materials on the ground,” reported The Salem News. 

Firefighters responded to the fire at 8 Sylvan St., on Friday afternoon. The fire in the home, which is across from Town Hall, quickly spread and firefighters called for three alarms, which brought in firefighters from other communities.

One firefighter was injured fighting the blaze.

7News interviewed the homeowner after the fire. Bill Nyland owned the home for 47 years. Nyland planned on giving the home to his grandson, who tragically died in a recent car crash.

Share This Article