A pipe from a woodstove resulted in a fire that caused extensive damage and forced an Easton family to evacuate their home Thursday morning.
Easton Fire Chief Kevin Partridge said firefighters responded to a call at 9:40 a.m. at 5 Twin Pine Lane. Nobody was hurt in the fire, but it wasn't easy to completely put out.
"It was a little stubborn because it was in the walls and floors," Partridge said. "We had it under control in a short time."
The fire entered the walls of the home from the basement where a woodstove was inserted into a fireplace. The pipe from the woodstove went up through the chiminy, but the hot pipe was touching a wood beam, Partridge said.
"It started spreading through the wall up into a floor joist," he said. "It was smoldering and charing for a while."
The end result was approximately $40,000 worth of damage, he said.
The homeowner was with her two children in the house when she smelled smoke and called the fire department.
West Bridgewater firefighters covered the Easton station while Brockton firfighters assisted on the scene.